Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sneak Peek: Handy Manny Halloween Costume

I decided awhile ago that Luke would be Handy Manny for Halloween. This is probably the last time I'll have a say in the matter. I'm guessing next year Luke will have his own opinions.

Here's what Manny looks like if you're not familiar.

I looked around online and came up with this $30 atrocity:
Looks like it would burst into flames if it came anywhere near a heat source.

So I decided instead to take an easy (and inexpensive) DIY approach.

You didn't think you'd be seeing a picture of the kid wearing the costume, did you? Not for a few more weeks.
Green T-shirt embroidered by my Mom (thanks, Mom!), jeans, and boots



A red-and-white toddler trucker hat took some time to find online. I finally found the perfect one at Little Fit. (The company calls this hat "The Manny." Pretty clever.)



I knew Luke wouldn't tolerate a tool belt, so I went with a tool box instead. I figure he can use this to collect his candy. I searched for a small unfinished tool box without any luck (nothing at Michaels, Wal-Mart, or Lowe's; Hobby Lobby had one with hearts cut out on the sides). I found this kit online that would work well. Instead, I enlisted our neighbor to put together a little tool box for Luke. I spray-painted it red, painted wooden letters (from Hobby Lobby) white, and glued them to the box with E6000.

That's it! Pretty simple. Just 18 days until trick-or-treat!

10 comments:

Leah said...

Homemade costumes are the best, and this looks great. I can't wait to see him in it!

Natalie said...

I was going to ask you last night what Luke was going to be, because I hadn't heard. Very, vERY cute.

Robin said...

can't wait to see him in it. very clever.

The Bakers said...

That is sooooooooo much cuter than the store-bought one. Now how are you going to reproduce the Wilmer Valderrama accent?

Unknown said...

Katie: Your creativity is amazing. You bounce from purses to wall hangings to bed quilts to tool boxes. Wow!

Eric, Marilyn, and Elliott said...

Good job, Katie!

Stephanie said...

He is going to be adorable!!! I love it all. Nicely done.

P.S. See? E6000 is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the link to the hat...I'm so glad you did, but just to let you know, when I went to the checkout, all of your personal information came up (name, address, phone #). You might want to log out of the site and reset the link on here.