Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baby girl quilt

We'll be welcoming a new niece to the family soon, so of course she'll be needing a quilt.
Quilt for Claire
I made this pink-and-green quilt using the His and Hers quilt pattern from Moda Bake Shop.
(If you click on the link, you might think I accidentally copied the name from the tutorial. Rest assured, my new niece's name is Claire too.)
The fabrics are from Joel Dewberry's Aviary, Lizzy House's Lizzy Dish, Amy Butler's Midwest Modern, Paula Prass' Summer Soiree, Pat Bravo's Paradise, and Heather Bailey's Pop Garden.

Quilt for Claire 2
My applique is best enjoyed from a distance. I added a little butterfly, which I got from the Martha Stewart Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts. I quilted in triple diagonal (straightish) lines. I was going to quilt in the opposite direction too, but I decided against it in hopes that the quilt would be softer. It definitely got crinkly in the dryer!

Quilt for Claire Binding
For the backing I used yardage from two prints on the front. The fun chevron stripe binding is from Heather Bailey's Pop Garden.

The finished quilt is about 40 x 40. I hope she likes it!

10 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

So cute! love the diagonal quilting. And I love when parents will give you the name beforehand so you can personalize things. I have some expecting mom's who aren't even finding out the sex of the baby! ARGH!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

How did you do the name? Is each letter appliqued? It's a beautiful quilt and the parents will love it!

Robin said...

so cute. I love the applique.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Darling quilt!

Carolyn said...

"best enjoyed from a distance"...I'm totally going to start using that phrase!! :) The quilt is beautiful..what a lucky neice!

Claire said...

you're niece will love it and if she doesn't you can always send it my way......FYI great choice for a name (wink, wink)!!!!

felicity said...

I'm certain she will love it. It's wonderful, (even) close up. :)

Stephanie said...

I believe this could be my favorite!

Natalie said...

Love that!

audreypawdrey said...

This is so charming!