Thursday, February 23, 2012

Scraptastic Tumblers

Rachel's Scrap Attack quilt-along came at the perfect time. I had grown concerned that I would get buried alive in my (unorganized, overflowing) scrap bin. Just as importantly, it was totally nonfunctional. I had tons of usable fabric in there, but I could never get to it.

Sraptastic tumblers
So I put my Go Baby tumbler die to work and started cranking out tumblers. Before I knew it, I had enough for a quilt. I threw them all in a bag and sewed them together at random.


As a bonus, sorting through my scraps was like a trip down quilty memory lane. I have bits of almost all of my quilts in here.


I decided to keep the tumbler edges in tact (thanks to Kati's encouragement!). The tumblers have kind of a soft angle, so the binding turned out more curvy than sharp, but I like the effect.


I didn't get a good picture of the back, but I used two prints I had on hand--this jumbo dot and the jacks print.


This quilt begged for some straight-line quilting...but I didn't listen. I enjoy stippling, so I stippled!


This quilt is a true Scrap Attack--I used only leftover materials I had on hand (including leftover binding strips and frankensteined scraps of batting). It's so loud that I know I'd never notice a spill or stain on it, so I'll happily be dragging it to picnics and the t-ball field.

I'm linking up to Kati's Slash the Stash!

20 comments:

Debbie said...

Very nice!!

Nicole said...

Beautiful! What a way to attack those scraps! Mine are threatening to take over my sewing room. You reminded me that I need to get started on my attack!

Linz said...

Love it!! I love the idea of sewing them at random. I must try it...

Heather D. said...

Love it. The curvy stripy binding is the best!

Kati said...

It turned out great! I love the edges. Leaving the angles intact was perfect!

**nicke... said...

oh katie! i love it. love it. love it! is it a bright happy loveable quilt. i love the frankenbinding also and i am so glad you kept the curves. it is like it has two scalloped edges. i wish i had a go baby for this. i think i will take my scraps to my next quilt sewing night and use theirs! ;)

Kristie said...

It's awesome! I am totally feeling the scrap quilts lately, and this one is fantastic. I agree that it is fun to go through my scraps and visit "memory lane" :) I had a similar idea that I should just crank mine through my GO HST and then piece them when I get the chance. Will have to do that!

Robin said...

love it. love the binding.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Cool!! I love how your scraps brought you down quilty memory lane, that's awesome. And good for you for embracing the random, that's one of my favorite things about scrap quilts. Totally need to do one myself! Or two or three!! Especially love the binding, I love the jagged edges, so awesome :)

Kelsey said...

This is so cute!! I love scrappy quilts :)

LisaAnn said...

This quilt is wonderful! I absolutely love the true scrappi-ness of it. The binding is pretty awesome, too. Nice finish, Katie!

Sana Saroti said...

What a cool quilt and I love that curvy stripy binding!!!

CityHouseStudio said...

It's fabulous, Katie!
And what you did with the binding is just perfect - I love it!

felicity said...

Everything about this quilt is 100% awesome and it makes me want to go get (or borrow!) a Go!Baby and cut me some tumblers STAT!

Eric, Marilyn, and Elliott said...

Love this one! All my Granny's quilts looked just like this. She would just throw all her scraps in a bag and pull them out with no care. Thanks for the nostalgia.

Floh said...

I really love your quilt! I wish I would have one like this ;) I know, I should sew one...

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

It turned out a really fun quilt! Enjoy it this summer at t-ball =)

Shauna said...

Fabulous quilt!! :)

Allison said...

great quilt! I love the wavy edges :)

Lily said...

I so wanted to make a tumbler quilt, but couldn't find enough scraps! This is great, and I'm so impressed it was random. Stop by #291 if you get a chance! :). Lily.