Monday, May 4, 2009

Katie's Book Pass-along: The Little Giant of Aberdeen County



For my first selection in Katie's Book Pass-along, I've chosen The Little Giant of Aberdeen County, by Tiffany Baker. First, let's take a moment to adore the cover. Aaaaaah.



Here's the synopsis from the author's Web site:

When Truly Plaice—part Behemoth, part Witch, part Cinderella—is born larger than life into a small-minded town, her birth rocks the pillars of tiny Aberdeen, New York, and breaks her family into smithereens. Truly spends a painful childhood in the shadow of her older sister Serena’s beauty and is teased mercilessly for her enormous physique. But when Serena unexpectedly leaves her son in Truly’s care, she must become the woman of a house she did not choose. Her brother-in-law, Doctor Robert Morgan, was one of her childhood tormentors and, as an adult, subjects her to brutal criticism, cruel medical testing, and degradation to the breaking point. It’s only when Truly finds her calling helping townspeople with herbal remedies that she begins to regain control of her life. However, unearthed family secrets will lead to a devastating betrayal that will break the Morgan family apart forever, and as Truly reckons with her own demons, she must come to terms with her role in Aberdeen’s destiny and the possibility of love in unexpected places.


I put this book on my to-read list after seeing Joshilyn Jackson's comments about it on her blog, and I'm glad I did. (BTW: Joshilyn Jackson is pretty much my favorite modern-day author, and her blog is hilarious.) It's Tiffany Baker's first book, and there's always something exciting about reading a debut novel. You're always taking a leap of faith. But with cover blurbs from Sara Gruen (Water for Elephants) and Joshilyn Jackson (gods in Alabama; Between, Georgia; and The Girl Who Stopped Swimming), I figured it was a pretty safe bet.


The Little Giant of Aberdeen County is captivating and character-driven, and I think the characters--particularly the larger-than-life Truly--will stick with me for a while. It's not flawless (the ending in particular seemed a little rushed), but I still think it's one you'll enjoy.


So. If you'd like to be the first Katie's Book Pass-along recipient, just leave a comment on this post before Friday at midnight. I'll pick a winner on Saturday morning, and ship the book off to its new home!

11 comments:

lindsey & lewis said...

Just as long as I get a couple of weeks to finish it, sounds like a good one:)

Natalie said...

You may or my not know this, but I ALWAYS judge a book by it's cover. Are you ever going to pass along books that you don't really like? Have you read the latest Wally Lamb book? I just got it in the mail today (from Paperback Swap)... it's BIG!

Anonymous said...

I do love the cover. Aunt T

Leah said...

I'm submitting my name. I just finished a book I didn't like, so I need something good now.

Eric, Marilyn, and Elliott said...

Count me in. I'm almost done with this month's batch of magazines.

Robin said...

I haven't read it and would like to.

Please add me to the list.

yo mama

Jen said...

Seeing as I'm currently reading a book about Thomas Jefferson that I found in the mailroom, I could use a recommendation for what to read next! This book sounds really good...and I've never heard of the other author you mentioned. I should pick her up too. And, ahem, knowing my interest in fashion you should totally choose me since the cover art is of a dress form. Ha! ;)

Anonymous said...

That book sounds very interesting, Katie - you know how much I love to read. I always have something going. I just finished "The Boelyn Inheritance" and am now reading Mary Higgins Clark's new book, "Just Take My Heart". So I am hoping to add this to my list of books to read.

Nana B.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending us this info. The book sounds good. Aunt M.

Stephanie said...

Brilliant! This is actually on my list! I saw it on JJ's blog, too, and I was going to suggest it to my book club. The crazy one.

Courtney said...

PICK ME! PICK ME! (jumping up and down with hand high!)