Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sunshine on a cloudy day

I was waiting for the sun to make an appearance so I could take some pictures of this quilt, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, so dreary pictures it is! Luckily, the quilt itself is pretty sunny. gray/yellow baby quilt
This quilt is for a baby who will be making his way into the world soon. I decided to put my 4x5 bee blocks to use, so the top came together really quickly. I just added some sashing (Kona Ash).

Untitled
 For the quilting, I looked again to Angela Walters' book for inspiration. This is the woodgrain pattern. This one was tricky for me, and my results are a bit, shall we say, rustic. But once the quilt was washed and dried it just gives it a lot of texture.

Untitled
 I love all of these blocks! The HOME one is definitely a favorite.

Untitled
I was kind of stuck on the binding but ended up going with Kona Coal.

Untitled
I put this together using materials I had on hand, which always makes me feel so thrifty!

Grey/yellow back
I had the perfect backing fabrics in my stash--Taza by Dena Designs.

11 comments:

Marla said...

Great job on the quilting. I really like the back too, simple and interesting, a hard combo to pull off.

kat129 said...

Love the color scheme! Quilting is fantastic, too. Might have to buy myself this Angela Walter's book...

Heather D. said...

It's great Katie! The quilting is really nice, very brave of you to try new things. I really like that "home" block too.

Leah said...

Gorgeous! I love the wood grain.

felicity said...

The quilting looks fantastic! Way to challenge yourself!!

CityHouseStudio said...

What a sunny quilt! Love it, Katie!
I think I need to buy Angela's book too - the wood grain is very cool!

Sarah Craig said...

Very very pretty -and it has its own sunshine!! Love your quilting, too!

Angela Nash said...

Great job using your 4x6 blocks! And I love what I can see of that wood grain. I'll have to give it a try.

Toni said...

That wood grain quilting looks really cool, Katie! And what a great way to use those bee blocks!

Marci Girl said...

Such a pretty quilt and I think the quilting turned out fabulous!

**nicke... said...

it is so lovely! and good job for being thrifty! xo ;)