Friday, September 7, 2012

Bespectacled bunny: A Craft Book Month project

I love craft books. I own 20+, and I'm always checking them out from the library. How often do I actually make projects from them? Not very often. For shame! This month, thanks to the folks at Craft Buds, it's time to liberate those books from their dusty prisons and actually make stuff! Later this month, you can show off your creations through a Craft Buds link-up (there will be prizes! shiny prizes!).


My project comes from Boo Davis' Dare to Be Square Quilting. I adore this book. I made the deer quilt from it last year, and it is one of my favorite quilts to date. Boo's instructions are clear and innovative, her designs are original, and the book is written with a sense of humor. There are at least five other quilts in the book that are on my "someday" list. The book includes smaller projects too, like pillows and a tote bag. For Craft Book Month, I sewed up Buddy Rabbit.

Untitled

Luke's friend had to get glasses recently, and he's been feeling a little shy about them, so we picked this project just for him. Luke helped me choose the fabrics and got a great deal of enjoyment out of stuffing the little fellow.

 Untitled
The bunny sews up very quickly with Boo's simple instructions, and he can be easily customized for any kid's preferences. Plus, he's pretty darn cute.

What do you say, are you ready to put those books to use? Here are the details from Craft Buds.



This post is part of the Craft Book Month blog hop at Craft Buds.

Week One
Sunday 9/2: Hopeful Threads / The Jolly Jabber
Monday 9/3: Stitchery Dickory DockMe Sew Crazy
Tuesday 9/4: Olive & OllieSew Sweetness
Wednesday 9/5: Fabric SeedsThe Busy Bean
Thursday 9/6: CraftFoxesStitched In Color
Friday 9/7: Katie's KornerA Prairie Sunrise

Week Two
Sunday 9/9: Sweet Diesel Designsmissknitta's studio
Monday 9/10: Sew TaraClover and Violet
Tuesday 9/11: Sew Fantasticamylouwho
Wednesday 9/12: Projektownia JednoiglecTwo More Seconds
Thursday 9/13: Ellison Lane QuiltsDon't Call Me Betsy
Friday 9/14: Live a Colorful LifeLRstitched

Week Three
Sunday 9/16: Fairy Face DesignsCanoe Ridge Creations
Monday 9/17: Inspire Me GreyFreshly Pieced
Tuesday 9/18: Lindsay SewsThe Cute Life
Wednesday 9/19: The Littlest ThistleSew Crafty Jess
Thursday 9/20: Urban Stitchesimagine gnats
Friday 9/21: Sew Bittersweet DesignsThe Plaid Scottie

Week Four
Link up your craft book project at Craft Buds from Sept 23-30 from your blog or Flickr account, and enter to win prizes. Winners will be announced on Monday, October, 1!



To participate in the month-long contest, just link up any project you've made from a pattern in a craft book. That easy! One entry per person, and all craft book projects must have been completed in 2012. Just create a new blog post or Flickr photo (dated September 1, 2012 or later) and link back to Craft Buds in your post or photo description.


No time to create a project? This month, just follow Craft Buds and comment to win some new craft books and lots of giveaways!

15 comments:

Wendy said...

What a great project! Such a lovely thing to do for your son's friend.

I have about 140 craft books, so don't feel bad about your collection!

Toni said...

What an awesome thing to do for Luke's friend! Bunny is adorable!

Marla said...

What a great blue bunny. I think the glasses make his button eyes shine. I think he would look perfect in a reading nook surrounded by books.

Lori said...

Oh this bunny is just too darn cute. Thanks for sharing

Sharon said...

Such a cute project!!

Kristy said...

This is so adorable! Love it!

granniegee said...

Dare To Be Square looks like a book I would love to have in my collection. And the bunny is just adorable.

Marci Girl said...

Too cute! I love that book too, it is so modern!

LisaAnn said...

What a cutie! This blog hop sounds like fun...I'm going to go pull out one of my books now :)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

isn't he cute?!?
great job Katie!
and yes -- I do need to pull out my craft books more. ;)

Leah said...

I was the first kid in my class to get glasses, so I can relate. I'm sure this will help!

Pam Hunter said...

I, too, check out sewing books from the library all the time. Read them and don't really indulge in any of the patterns (sigh). Just went to the library yesterday and guess what ... I will be indulging! Gonna make something before these books are returned in 3 weeks.

And your friend with glasses ... adorbs!!!

Thank you!

Judith said...

I too have 20+ books and just a handfull made from the patterns. Not enough hours and days. Thanks for sharing and Boo looks so sweet in his glass...Judith, Texas

Kakers said...

Now I want to get more craft books!
~Katy

**nicke... said...

my son just saw this as i was reading and he said "MOM! ROBOT!"