Monday, August 13, 2012

Heirloom quilting

I've had this quilt top for almost 2 years, and I'm thrilled to have it finished up. Really, 2 years isn't so bad considering this quilt is at least 80 years in the making. Untitled
My aunt sent this quilt top to me in hopes that I'd finish it up. It was started by my great-great grandmother, who passed away in 1932. My grandma thinks it was one of the last quilts she made, so I'm guessing it's 80-90 years old.

  Untitled
The quilt Top is in remarkable condition. There are a few little stains and discolorations, but the fabric has held up really well. I think the design has held up really well too! One of my favorite things about this top is that it fits in with what we'd consider "modern" today. Untitled I echoed the star shapes with some simple quilting in Perle cotton. At some point, I'll go back in and add some quilting in the blank squares. The quilt edges were getting fragile (and I really wanted to be able to put this aside), so I decided to go ahead and bind it. I used this peach Amy Butler solid, which is a near-perfect match to the peach fabric in the quilt. The finished quilt is close to twin size. I'm glad I was able to play a part in putting it together (and I'm extra glad my part didn't involve hand piecing all of those tiny diamonds!).

17 comments:

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Linda!!!Esta sim é uma preciosidade!Gostaria de fazer uma desta,sou viciada em costura a mão,que tamanho é este bloco?Obrigada.tiacarminhapezzuto@gmail.com

Robin said...

It turned out beautifully, Katie. thank you for putting such thought and care into finishing your great great grandmother Cordelia's quilt.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, Katie, this is so pretty! I think your simple quilting is just perfect for this, and you're right, the binding is a spot-on match!

Debbie said...

This is beautiful, and you are right - it looks so modern! I was surprised when you said how old it is. I've finished up a couple of vintage quilts, and it's a cool feeling knowing you are working on something that's been in your family for years!

Lindsay Conner said...

I love how heartfelt this is! You can just tell. :)

Toni said...

Katie, this is so beautiful! And isn't it funny how so many old quilts are very "modern"? I love this design and all the solid fabrics she used. How cool that you were able to finish a project started by your great grandmother!

Angela Nash said...

What a wonderful treasure! And super old fashion modern :) Love it.

Chelsea said...

It's gorgeous! What a wonderful link to the women in your past! And it really is modern.

Leah said...

The binding is the perfect color. Does this mean you get to keep the quilt?

mary said...

Thanks Katie for taking the ball and running with it. You were the right family member for this fabulous job. The Grandmas are looking down from heaven and smiling. The quilt is beautiful.

**nicke... said...

amazing katie! amazing!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

That is lovely! Great job on the finish and thanks for sharing the heirloom!

LisaAnn said...

How nice for you to have been a part of this quilt! It is really pretty!

Kristie said...

This is phenomenal! I can't believe it has held up so well for so many years, and you are right, the look of it is very modern. What a keepsake to treasure. Amazing!

felicity said...

Oh my goodness Katie! This is wonderful!! So fabulous to be a part of your family's history. I have a quilt top hand pieced by my great-aunt that I want to hand quilt at some point. It's dresden fans - not nearly as modern looking as this beauty!

Danielle said...

Aside from that, it is highly recommended to regularly check the racking systems for possible damage due to overloading of beams, incorrect location of beams, improper loading of pallets and faulty positioning of pallets at designated locations. These things are caused by human errors which can happen every working day. 7. If you notice a small white/gray residue on the concrete, the sealer has been applied a little thick in that area, do not worry it will wear off with time or you can spray it off with a pressure sprayer. Mortgage Professionals OfficeTeam Costa Mesa, CA

Shankar said...

The binding is the perfect color. Does this mean you get to keep the quilt?