Monday, August 27, 2012

Happy baby quilt

Ed Emberley's Happy Drawing line makes me feel nostalgic--I remember drawing from this book as a kid. Thankfully, my friend timed her pregnancy so that I could justify buying some of it to make a quilt for her new baby boy.
 Untitled
I guess my mom didn't have the same nostalgic feelings about this book *cough* so I had to hit Amazon for a new copy. Happy Drawing/Jungle Path
I used the Jungle Path quilt tutorial by Sew Crafty Jess on Moda Bake Shop. It's a really cute pattern, and it comes together quickly.
Untitled
 I used squiggles for most of the background squares, but I snuck some solids in there too. Untitled
 I mimicked the squiggle print for quilting and used more squiggles for the binding. Can't get enough! Untitled
I stitched the baby's name into the quilting (or tried my best!). Hope they can read it. Untitled
My son pointed out that lots of these Happy Drawing animals look pretty grumpy.

Happy Drawing Back
For the back, I used up some yardage and chose to feature the tiger print instead of the elephant (these things must be considered for a baby in Alabama).
Untitled
This baby is due to arrive in two weeks, so I didn't have much time to spare!

17 comments:

**nicke... said...

you did squeak in just in time didn't you! it is so cute! love it and your quilting is stellar!

Jennifer said...

cute this pattern is definitely on my "to - do" list!

Heather D. said...

Very cute and I like that you filled it in with squiggly quilting.

Marla said...

How funny that we picked the same design! I love your version. The squiggles are great. I may have to mimic your quilting on this one. I tried to do loose waves on mine and it just looked like I couldn't sew a straight line. So after sewing about 5 rows I picked it ALL out. Yuck.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very cute and fun quilt.

Toni said...

Such a fun quilt! And I love that you chose fabrics based on college football!

Robin said...

love the quilt. Sorry I didn't keep the book-probably passed it on to your cousins. Or sold it at a garage sale in 1985 for a quarter :(

Kirsten said...

Love this quilt - these are just the cutest prints and your squiggly quilting is awesome.

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

wow, this is such a great boy quilt! I love that you chose the squiggles (I adore that fabric) and then added in some solids so the eyes could rest. It's perfect!

Shontelle said...

Gorgeous quilt... I love the design.

Debbie said...

Perfect quilting for this sweet quilt!

kat129 said...

It looks great!! That kid is gonna love it. The aside about the tiger vs the elephant, since moving to the south I get it. And your son is right - although extremely cute fabric the animals do look grumpy! What a smart kid :-)
cheers!
-k

Marci Girl said...

So cute and I love the name added in there!

CityHouseStudio said...

So cute, Katie!
Love, love, love the scribbles quilting you did!

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Gostaria de dormir em uum berço com esta.

Leah said...

I love the pattern. And the name turned out great!

felicity said...

Just catching up on my Reader. I loove this quilt, Katie! I laughed at your (*cough*). G is going to be saying that about me when she grows up because I am RUTHLESS with tossing stuff she's grown out of/doesn't play with anymore/etc.