Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tis the season for comfort food

Sure, it's still in the 80s here, but when I leave work to the tunes of the high school marching band practicing, it feels like fall. Maybe that's why I've been seeking out comfort food this week.

On the menu:
Baked Potato Soup: I was in the mood for a potato soup, and this one had very high ratings on MyRecipes.com. It turned out a little bland for my taste, but topping it with bacon and cheese helped add flavor :) (Warning: I'm pretty sure your cholesterol will go up just looking at this recipe.)

Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie: This was a good, simple meal that was quick to put together after work. In true Paula Deen fashion, it calls for you to melt a stick a butter and pour it over the top of the casserole. I definitely cut back on that, and I didn't add the hard boiled egg to the pot pie because...ick!

I'm really trying to get out of my dinner rut. Any recipes I should try?

3 comments:

Leah said...

Reuben sandwiches. Make a pot roast and then have french dip sandwiches with the leftovers. Breakfast for dinner.

Pork Loin with Crumb Crust:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1687552

Beef and Stout Pie, but instead of the crust I made biscuits:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=A3F7E1DB-E41C-E23E-FBA1EA0EE6A953B1

You read more recipes on a daily basis than I do! I tried to think of things Justin might like.

Robin said...

risotto

shrimp and grits

chicken and noodles

calzones with store bought crust

meatloaf

mary said...

I made Reubens last week. Homemade pizza, Chili, Anything with pork, especially pork sausage and saurkraut. It is apple season....Baked apples, fried apples, apple dumplings, apple pancakes, Pumpkin(anything with pumpkin) lasagna, eggplant dishes. Beef and Barley stew in another month. Aunt M.