Friday, July 31, 2009

A little tact would be appreciated.

I went to use the facilities at work this afternoon, and there was a woman in the restroom washing her hands. She's one of those people that I recognize but don't actually know. We've never spoken. Don't know each other's names. 

Here's how she decided our first conversation should go:

Random woman: You look like a little girl! Every time I see you, I think, "Who is that little girl?"
Me: Uh...thanks, I think...[duck into stall]

Now. I realize that I'm taking the "casual Friday" thing very seriously today. I'm turning 30 in a few months, so I suppose I should relish such comments while I can. But. I can't help but be offended! It's really not appropriate to tell someone--a colleague...a stranger!--that she looks like a little girl!

I guess I should be grateful that her follow-up wasn't, "And when is your baby due?"

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Funny. Maybe next time you see her, you should tell her how old she looks. And how you can't believe someone so old works with you.

Anonymous said...

You should say, "I know, right?Women pay a lot of money to look younger and I have been able to do that for free. I am just lucky that way." Aunt Mary

Leah said...

Yesterday someone asked if Heinz was older or younger than me. Um, I'm 6 years younger. I guess I don't look it.

Natalie said...

That's a good one, Aunt Mary. A lady at the grocery store asked me if Sam and Bo were twins the other day. Bunch of crazies out there.

Robinsen Clerk said...

We are grateful for your dedication about this helpful post.thanks for explain this post with taking your important time.