Monday, January 12, 2009

Well, that certainly is unfortunate news. UPDATE!

Imagine my surprise when I got the following notice in the mail from my gas company.

Dear customer:
We appreciate the opportunity to serve you. We have received information that Katherine Bowlby is deceased, and we are unable to continue gas service in this name. Please contact us to place this account in the name of the current resident or the person responsible for the billing. If application for the service is not received by 1/28/09 it will be necessary for the gas service at this address to be discontinued.

Huh. I wonder what other bills I can get out of paying now that I'm dead!

UPDATE: Good news! I have been resurrected by the gas company. I called this morning and notified them of my aliveness. The customer service representative said that someone called in and notified them of my passing, but she couldn't give me any more info than that. I think it must've been a mixup and they put the info in the wrong account or something. Hopefully there's not a sabateur out there tampering with my utility bills.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little funny and a little creepy at the same time. Aunt T

Leah said...

Don't call the number on the letter in case it's a scam for information and not really from the gas company. Because this is freaky.

Natalie said...

What? That's crazy. Good advice Leah. And I'd be skeptical too... make sure to ask how they got that information when you call them up. Cra-Zee.

Natalie said...

Oh and one more thing... has Justin been acting peculiar lately?

Anonymous said...

What??
That's nuts.Creepy

And Leah is right. Don't call the number.

Grandma

Stephanie said...

I think you better sleep with one eye open. Justin can't be trusted.

Katie B said...

Sheesh. I get one letter notifying me of my death, and you guys get all paranoid.

Well, I called the number on the letter when I got it, and it is the gas company (I just double-checked the number with their Web site). Anyway, the recording siad their offices close at 4:45. That's how I knew it was legit. Scammers stay open later.

Justin is already thinking of all of the perks of being a widower with a cute baby.

Leah said...

That paranoid advice came from Heinz. He's had his identity stolen twice. If I was going to steal someone's identity, I would pick a less unusual name.

Stephanie said...

ha ha ha ha, Leah.

Dude. Justin could totally mack it if he was towing Luke around. See? Be careful.

I think it's kind of wikkity-wack (not sure about my 90s gangsta rap spelling) that the lady couldn't give you any more info about how you came to be dead.

Robin said...

I agree....it is a little wierd that "someone called up and notified them of your passing".

seems like they should at least get a name.

Katie B said...

If the person was doing something underhanded, they wouldn't likely use their own name.

And who would benefit from the gas company thinking I'm dead? Unless it's just someone who really really hates me, and we all know that isn't possible.

I'm sure it was a mistake.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're still here Katie. Love Aunt T