Friday, March 16, 2012

Keeping it simple

Strip quilt
I won a jelly roll of Alphabet Soup on the Riley Blake blog. In the interest of putting my stash to use, I decided to sew it up into a simple strip quilt. I added a few brown and white strips to made the quilt a little longer.


The larger scale patterns aren't ideal for precuts because they're not the best for fussy cutting, but this happy strip worked out just right!


I quilted it ini an all-over loopy pattern. For the binding, I used the premade AMH bias binding. I've been wanting to try it out. Just one note: If you're using it for quilt binding, you'll want the 1 1/8 inch width. I bought the 2 1/4 inch by mistake, and it's really 5 1/2 inches folded in half (if that makes sense). But no biggie--I just cut it in half and got double the amount of binding.


For the back, I used a flannel from the same line. I'm surprised it didn't shrink up more (I didn't prewash). It's very snuggly!

That's it! Simple and straight-forward--that's kind of where my mind is right now.

9 comments:

Heather D. said...

Hey, sometimes simple is the best! It looks awesome, and I love the flannel backing.

Kelly said...

I love simple strip quilts and I LOVE AMH premade binding!!!! :)

**nicke... said...

i love a quick finish! and i love that amh binding. i tried to find some at my lqs the other day... no luck. i had to make my own! awesome that you got double the amount! almost like a "treat yo self"!

Toni said...

Cute quilt, Katie! I'm definitely looking for simple and quick projects right now, too. The binding is really cool, and fun that you ended up getting twice as much than you planned!

Debbie said...

Very sweet! Love your binding choice!

Shanea said...

I am a big fan of simple strip quilts...there is no shortage of love in simple quilts :) Looks great~

felicity said...

BIG fan of Simple over here. Love this!

audreypawdrey said...

It is lovely! I need to make a few simple quilts soon.:)

doodlebugmom said...

love this!