Sunday, May 27, 2012

Zakka-Style Quilt

I decided the quilt from the Zakka Style sew-along would be the perfect use of my charms from Anne Marie's Japanese charm swap, so I pulled out some Essex linen and got to work.

Untitled
It's a very simple quilt to put together. I used 5-inch charms (instead of the 6-inch squares in the instructions), so I changed the dimensions accordingly. My quilt ended up at about 40x48. I didn't have enough Essex linen in Natural, so I used Sand for the horizontal rows. (Man, that linen gets wrinkly!)
Untitled
I did some stair-step/zigzag quilting in double lines. The quilt in the book uses the linen for the binding too. I like that look, so I used it for my quilt too. Untitled
I used up some more charms on the back, and added yardage of this green Nicey Jane print. Love that one. I think this is a great way to use use the Japanese charms, but I'm not sure how much I love using the Essex in a quilt. I hope it wears well with time!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

this is beautiful! you've inspired me to pull out the japanese charm squares i've been hoarding.

Toni said...

Fun quilt, Katie! I agree about the Essex in a quilt...I'm not convinced yet. I only used it for one square in my last one, but didn't fall in love with it. But it's great for other things, so I guess I'll keep it. How was it as binding?

Debbie said...

Clever to use your Japanese charms...I agree I'm not sold yet either. Love the look but not sure about the wrinkles and lack of stability. have yet to quilt & bind mine, so we'll see...

felicity said...

Beautiful and calming!

Kristie said...

Very cute, those Japanese charms are adorable! I love a linen quilt! But I agree it does wrinkle, my trick is to do some heavy quilting on those ones, so then it gets extra crinkly and the wrinkles make it even better!

Lindsay Conner said...

They charms look familiar! :) Great job!

AnneMarie said...

Great use for the Japanese charms! I agree with you...I used linen on my same charms and am not sure I'll be doing it again.. live and learn, right? :)