Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Black, white, and red all over

Houndstooth!
Houndstooth, all finished up. This quilt is a gift for my neighbor who just graduated high school and will be going to the University of Alabama in the fall. (In case you're not an SEC football fan...Houndstooth is a thing at the University of Alabama.) You can see I opted not to fix my backwards blocks. I chose to take the advice of those of you who said it added character to the quilt (and thanks for that!).

IMG_3282
I went with an all over stippling with white thread. (Kristie said black thread would be badass, and I know she's right...but I chickened out and went with the decidedly non-badass white.)

IMG_3283
Black seemed like the only option for binding.

Houndstooth back
For the back, I went with this jumbo polka dot from Sugar and Spice by The Quilted Fish.

IMG_3294
I took a photo of the backing fabric with a quarter for scale...because I love it when people take a picture with a quarter for scale.

Houndstooth2

The pattern is from V and Co. Vanessa's pattern is for a square baby quilt. I added some extra rows to make it a throw. I made it a little on the small side so it would be dorm room appropriate. I gave it to my neighbor tonight, and she loves it!

15 comments:

Kati said...

What a fabulous gift! I love how it came out.

Linz said...

Love it!! Looks so amazing! Great job!!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

what a sweetheart you are... :) (And I never would have noticed the misplaced ones if you hadn't pointed them out). ;)

Cecily said...

Lovely - and that was such a great choice of backing! Great job on the quilting too - I like the white. :)

Megan said...

Gah! Words can't express how much I love this! I want one! :)

Angela Nash said...

Yes, an awesome gift!! You did a fabulous job, ANd I would chicken out and go with white, too :)

felicity said...

Fabulous, fabulous. I *love* the twirled blocks.

Canadian Abroad said...

Love the quilt and think the backing fabric is the perfect kick of colour.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow! Super fun quilt, I love the backing choice! This is really stunning, Katie! Great job!

Sonja said...

Oh, my soul that is gorgeous! My second daughter would love to have one of these for her dorm room. Just beautiful!

Leah said...

Wow, the back is awesome too. Any U of AL freshman would love it! (I bet you could get tons of orders for these...and if you wanted to make things easier, I saw a houndstooth fabric at Hobby Lobby.)

**nicke... said...

i seriously LOVE this!

Carolyn said...

This quilt is absolutely gorgeous! No seriously...GORGEOUS!

modernamishplain said...

love the red & white polka dot for the backing. Super cute!

Anonymous said...

This is so gorgeous!! My husband and I are graduates of UA, and I'm thinking about making one of these for him for Christmas. :) He would totally watch every single game on TV snuggled under this thing, hehehe (shhh! don't tell anyone!). Anyway, I wanted to ask if this was a very difficult pattern...? I've only made a couple of quilt tops, and only one involved triangle, so I was just curious how difficult these blocks are... I purchased the creative grids ruler to go along with the pattern, so I'm assuming this helps.. anyway, just thought I'd ask!! Thanks for sharing!!