Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ugly duckling or Blue-ribbon winner?

Thanks so much for sharing your opinions on the sashing for my Red Letter Day quilt! I considered each and every one. And, yes, I made a new pie chart of the second set of results.


FIRST RESULTS
graph
I think the change between the first and second time I asked for opinions is really interesting. Before I showed the audition photos, there were tons of votes for white. Only three for black.

SECOND RESULTS
graph
After I showed the audition photos, the votes for black and white pretty much reversed. I never would've thought I would like the black sashing the best...but I did!

I definitely had second thoughts. Like when I went back and looked at my original inspiration photo. Sure looks beautiful with the crisp white sashing, doesn't it?

I had second thoughts when I dropped some of the black fabric on my laundry room floor and picked it up covered with whatever linty mess lives in there.

And I had second thoughts every time I looked at my dirty old shed-machine of a yellow lab.

But I pushed all of those thoughts to the back of my mind and went with the impractical black sashing. And I think it looks pretty darn awesome! I really can't imagine it any other way.
RedLetterDayTop1
I ended up adding a thin border of the Bahama blue around each block.

RedLetterDayBlock
I was concerned about having the black next to the brown borders in some of the blocks, like this guy here. That's probably an old-fashioned notion, but I think the blue sets the blocks off nicely and unifies them.

RedLetterDayBlocks
I wasn't sure what to do with the all-blue block, but I just went ahead and added the blue border to it too.

RedLetterDayTop2
I can't wait to hear what you think! You'll be seeing this guy again when I get it all quilted and bound.

19 comments:

Janet said...

Oh, Katie - blue robbon for sure - it's breathtaking! The Bahama blue is a gorgeous frame and so pretty against the black!! Great job!

Lee said...

It looks great! I wasn't convinced about the black originally, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. : ) And I love the blue borders! The combination of that and the black really works.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love how you used the blue with the black, I think it looks fantastic. Definitely a blue ribbon winner, for sure!

Kaye Prince said...

Love it Katie! It looks great!

Andrea said...

it looks beautiful!! the blocks really pop off the black sashing :) love the bahama blue sashing too

Shanley said...

That's gorgeous and I have to say, I love the graphs :)

Sarah Craig said...

It is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! The bahama blue really does unify it all, and the black is very cutting edge!! Whoop whoop!!

Lara said...

It looks fabulous. Well done!

felicity said...

Fantastic! The thin blue outline perfectly unifies the blocks and the black. Oh, the black. Everything pops! Blue Ribbon for sure.

Kristie said...

Stellar!

tam2324l said...

Beautiful. I think I voted for the Bahama Blue but can't remember. I love it with the border and the black. What's next? Aunt T

Robin said...

Stunning. I voted for the black and think it looks so contemporary. and beautiful.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Your pie charts are awesome!.
Now, the next challenge, thread for quilting...

mac said...

The Bahama blue border was an inspired choice. The quilt is stunning.

Kris said...

This is great. I agree that the blue border makes it pop!! I couldn't have imagined the black would work so well, but you're right that it's perfect!

pinkbrain said...

The blue border with the black are the best of both worlds!
Like you said the blue helps to unify the quilt!
Stunning!

mary said...

Thanks for the pie chart to add clarity to your findings. You could publish these. The quilt is beautiful. Based on the Amish quilts with black backing.

Anonymous said...

Katie, You have produced another masterpiece. I love the black background and the beautiful blue. Very modern looking. Grandma

Patty said...

I really like the thin aqua border on your blocks. It does tie them all together. Very pretty!!