Sunday, April 5, 2009

Casting my vote

I was perusing the entries for the Betty Crocker "Mix It Up With Betty" baking contest, and the entry for Chocolate Chip-Ice Cream Cake jumped out at me immediately. I didn't want to cast my vote too hastily (I was pretty sure that the chocolate-cookie-ice cream combo would be delish, but there was only one way to be absolutely certain), so I decided to perform my due diligence and test the recipe myself. (I used vanilla ice cream instead of cookie dough, but I imagine any flavor would work.) It's a winner!

Chocolate Chip-Ice Cream Cake
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 3 hours 25 min
Makes: 15 servings

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® chocolate chip cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 bottle (7.25 oz) chocolate topping that forms hard shell
1 container (1.5 quart) chocolate chip-cookie dough ice cream (6 cups)
1.Heat oven to 375°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms.
2. On ungreased cookie sheet, make 5 cookies by dropping dough by tablespoonfuls. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
3. Meanwhile, press remaining dough in pan, using moistened fingers (dough will be sticky). Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Spread 1/3 cup chocolate topping over baked crust. Freeze 10 to 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
5. Meanwhile, remove ice cream from freezer to soften. Spread softened ice cream evenly over chocolate-topped crust.
6. Crumble 5 baked cookies; sprinkle over ice cream layer. Drizzle remaining chocolate topping over cookie crumbs. Cover; freeze 2 hours. To serve, let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before cutting. For serving pieces, cut into 5 rows by 3 rows. Store covered in freezer.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like someone who takes her vote seriously.

I looked at the recipe contest, too, and felt I couldn't cast my vote unless I actually did some testing. Good job! Aunt T