I flip-flopped on the layout a few times. Loulouthi is one of those lines I had to have, but then it languished on my shelf because I didn't know what to do with it. I think the large-scale prints trip me up, so I decided to leave them fairly large. At first, I wanted to do some simple squares set on point, but I couldn't make the math work with the fabric I had. Then I thought I'd do some simple sashed squares. I ended up offsetting the squares to make the layout a little more interesting.
The layout is definitely reminiscent of my Colorbrick quilt that I made with Rachel's quilt-along. I cut the Loulouthi fat quarters into 8-inch squares, and sashed them with 2-inch strips of Kona Snow.
I used this dark brown solid for the binding because (a) there is a lot of brown in these prints and (b) I had some. I sewed on the binding by hand while watching the first few episodes of season 1 of Downton Abbey on Netflix. Seems like I'm the only person on the known planet who isn't watching this show, so I'm catching up.
I had a couple yards of the Summer Totem print, which worked out perfectly for the back. This is one of my favorite prints, and there's no way I could cut it up. I just added a few strips of Kona Snow to either side to make it wide enough. I'm not sure I'm done with this print...I can't shake the Summer Totem quilt by Noodlehead. You can kind of see the quilting pattern from the back--just double lines zigzagging through the sashing.
I know I paid for all of these supplies at some point, but it still feels awfully thrifty to make a quilt from stash!
Linking up with Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations!
I'm linking up to Kati's Slash the Stash over at From the Blue Chair!