Thursday, December 1, 2011

1 yard of ruffle fabric.

Vanessa of V and Co has posted some really cute tutorials using ruffle fabric, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! Here's what I made out of one yard (it's 54 inches wide).

First, I wanted to try the ruffle tote. So I made two.

ruffle tote 1
This one is for me.

Ruffle tote pink
The lining is my favorite Heirloom print.

Ruffle tote 2
The second one is for [name redacted]. The lining is actually purple in real life.

Purple ruffle tote
I made the flowers using Vanessa's Flower Corsage tutorial.

After making those, I had just enough fabric left to make a ruffle scarf.
Ruffle scarf
Kindly excuse the weird self-portrait.
I had to fudge it a bit and cut my strips at 12 inches instead of 14, but it works just as well! Not bad for 1 yard of fabric!

The ruffle fabric is definitely a little different to work with. It's very stretchy, so cutting it accurately is hard. But that stretchiness also makes it very forgiving. If you can keep your ruffles out of your seams, you're in good shape. I'm interested to see how it holds up with use, but I'm happy for now, and I marked someone off my Christmas list!

12 comments:

felicity said...

[name redacted] made me guffaw for some reason. Love your ruffly projects!!

Kati said...

I've been dying to try this fabric. I need to just break down and place an order. It looks so classy. Love your bags and that scarf is great!

baukje said...

The scarf is so lovely , and so are the bags; Never sw this fabric!!!

Linz said...

Oh shoot. Now I have to go get some ruffle fabric.

:) VERY cute!!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Love it! That is so pretty. I love the pop of pink inside.

Shanea said...

Super cute scarf! The bag is cute too :)

Kirsten said...

Love the ruffle bags (especially the one with the heirloom lining) and your scarf!!

Toni said...

Fun projects, Katie! Very impressed with three projects out of one yard!

**nicke... said...

cute katie. i think ruffle fabric is so great and super easy. did you make your ribbon flowers too?

Lee said...

How cute! Now I think I might need to get my hands on some of this fabric!

Leah said...

I had never heard of ruffle fabric. I have made quite a few ruffles myself for doll clothes!
These are just gorgeous, and so are the flowers. They look so professional.

CityHouseStudio said...

I love it, Katie!
I have a yard of this fabric sitting on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to using it - but this is wonderful inspiration!