Monday, September 12, 2011

For the Love of Solids

I was nervous to join the For the Love of Solids swap on Flickr. It was my first swap, and they seem like a lot of pressure! But I joined anyway, because I figured it would be fun and maybe a bit of a challenge. When I found out my partner was my friend Elizabeth, I was even more nervous (she's one of the hosts of the swap, after all) but definitely excited. The first step of swapping is to stalk your parter's blog, Flickr photo stream, and favorites. I've been following Elizabeth for a while, so no problem there! Elizabeth gave lots of specifics in her questionnaire (thankfully!!), so had lots to go on.

FLOTS Swap package for Elizabeth
This is what I ended up sending.

Sewing machine cover for Elizabeth
(The colors are more accurate in this photo.)
Elizabeth requested a cover for her sewing machine, Betsy 2.0. I used this tutorial to construct the cover. For the patchwork, I used the pattern in Malka Dubrawsky's Fresh Quilting. A few other swappers used this pattern too--it's perfect for solids! Elizabeth gave me her sewing machine's dimensions, but I was still worried about it fitting! She posted a picture of it on her machine, so I think it worked out.

FLOTS notebooks
For the small item, I made a notebook cover. I know Elizabeth is a sketcher and a list-maker, so I figured she could use these. I sent a journal and a graph paper version. (Note to self: buy these in bulk next back-to-school season!) Tutorial here.

Batman mini
I sent this little Batman mini for Elizabeth's son. Our boys are kindred spirits, and I know they'd be buddies if we lived closer together.


I also threw in this Kona Solids charm pack. I figure if she didn't like anything else, she could at least use this!

Everything arrived safely at Elizabeth's house, and she seems really happy with it, so I'm calling it a success. Thanks to Elizabeth and Megan for hosting! I can see how this swap business can become an addiction...

8 comments:

felicity said...

*Definitely* a success - congratulations on a great swap package!

Swaps are definitely addicting.

Debbie said...

Your swap projects are beautiful! (& I would have been nervous to get one of the hosts TOO!)

Megan said...

So GREAT Katie! :) I bet E. LOVES it! Ready for another round? :)

Victoria Paige @ Boutique Uniquely said...

It's wonderful! A truly great swap package. Great job!

Lee said...

Oh, aren't you sweet! What beautiful projects for such a deserving partner!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

When I got your package on Saturday, I was sewing, and my husband answered the door. He said I got a box, and I asked where it was from, and when he said, I squealed and told him that it was my swap package from you!! I had been hoping your items were for me, and I was so glad they were :) Awesome partner!!

CityHouseStudio said...

So beautiful, Katie!
What a fun, fun package.
I love what you did with the sewing machine cover!

audreypawdrey said...

What a beautiful sewing machine cover!