Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Orangey goodness

Did I mention I joined a quilting bee? A virtual one through Flickr. It's for beginners. There are seven members, and each member is assigned to a month. During each month, the member in charge sends fabric to the others and gives instructions for making a block. Then each of us sews up a block and sends it back.

I got the fabric for the first block this week. It made the long journey from the U.K., along with instructions to make a 12.5-inch improv block. Eek. A little nervous!

Photobucket
The woman who has January is planning a ROYGBV quilt, so she sent each of us a specific color. My color: Orange. Sweet. I'll be sure to post a picture of my finished block.

My month to send fabric is April. I have a plan in mind, but I'm sure I'll come up with 15 different ideas between now and then.

7 comments:

Robin said...

so you just take that material and make what you want with it?

what is ROYGBV?

joining a quilting sounds fun, but kind of stressful.

Kaye Prince said...

So pretty! I've thought about participating in a bee, but I'm not sure yet. Let me know how your experience is and then maybe I'll be able to decide. I think it would be pretty fun to get to play with other peoples fabrics though!

The Bakers said...

I thought this post was going to be about some deliciously gooey orange rolls. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use "goodness" in reference to fabric.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Lucky you to get orange!

Leah said...

ROYGBIV is an acronym for the colors of the rainbow in the order they appear: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. The hat I made Luke for his birthday is in ROYGBIV colors.

I had already seen this post, and forgot what it was about, and when I saw the headline I thought maybe you made orange rolls too!

And I'm pretty sure you're insane.

mary said...

Roy G BIV are the colors of the spectum, the wavelength of visible light. The best part of 8th grade science. What happens to the quilt at the end? MM

Unknown said...

It's the only thing I ever remembered from science....

Katie - you lead such an interesting life.