Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This might be the best thing on TV

Have you seen Breaking Bad? We finished watching season 1 on DVD last night, and I'm telling you, nothing you're watching this season measures up.
The premise: Walter White is a high school chemistry teacher--just your average buttoned-up family guy. When he is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, he partners with a former student and uses his scientific know-how to start cooking meth so he can make money to leave for his family. Now I know that sounds pretty heavy (and at times it is--viewer discretion is definitely advised), but the show is also darkly comic. (Did I mention Walt's brother-in-law is a D.E.A. agent? Wacky!)
If you haven't seen it yet, no worries! The first season is a manageable seven episodes (it was cut way short because of the writers' strike), so you can still get caught up before Sunday's season 2 premiere on AMC. Netflix it, catch it on OnDemand, watch the season 1 marathon starting on Friday night on AMC, or borrow my DVDs. It is high-quality entertainment.

And you don't have to take my word for it. Entertainment Weekly gives it an A and says, "For all its bleakness and darkness, there's a glowing exhilaration about the series.
It's a feel-good show about feeling really bad."
Well said.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Ok. I'll try it, although we don't always share the same taste in television.

Robin said...

I'm downloading last season on demand, have the new season on my season pass.

I love direct tv.

Anonymous said...

I think Earl is funny so maybe I will give it a try. Aunt M

Anonymous said...

Katie - I read this post and was convinced to watch season 1. I recorded the marathon last night. I've only watched the first episode so far. It was really good. Great find and great tv taste!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I LOVE the brother in law. This is Soprano's good. Aunt M.

Natalie said...

Rob LOVES this show. He's just ticked we don't have AMC HD. It has a few too many bodily fluids for me. I've gone to bed with a stomach ache every night after we've watched...