Friday, March 16, 2012
Keeping it simple
I won a jelly roll of Alphabet Soup on the Riley Blake blog. In the interest of putting my stash to use, I decided to sew it up into a simple strip quilt. I added a few brown and white strips to made the quilt a little longer.
The larger scale patterns aren't ideal for precuts because they're not the best for fussy cutting, but this happy strip worked out just right!
I quilted it ini an all-over loopy pattern. For the binding, I used the premade AMH bias binding. I've been wanting to try it out. Just one note: If you're using it for quilt binding, you'll want the 1 1/8 inch width. I bought the 2 1/4 inch by mistake, and it's really 5 1/2 inches folded in half (if that makes sense). But no biggie--I just cut it in half and got double the amount of binding.
For the back, I used a flannel from the same line. I'm surprised it didn't shrink up more (I didn't prewash). It's very snuggly!
That's it! Simple and straight-forward--that's kind of where my mind is right now.