Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival! Zigzags in Voile

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival


When I was on vacation in Vermont this summer, I bought some fat quarters of Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks voile from Nido. I would take it out and pet it from time to time, but I was a little afraid to do anything with it. I don't know, I guess because it's so silky I thought it would be hard to work with. So I decided the only sensible way to conquer my fear was to keep buying voile whenever I could find it on sale. (This makes sense in my head. Really.) Finally I decided to suck it up and start sewing.

Zigzag1

So I started cutting up and sewing together rectangles to make a zigzag quilt. AMH's fabric seems a natural fit with zigzags. I used the tutorial from Crazy Mom Quilts (no piecing triangles!), and it was really simple.

IMG_2056
The voile didn't give me any trouble either. It can be difficult to tell "right" from "wrong" side, but I guess if I can't tell, it doesn't really matter! (I think Ashley mentioned this in a post about voile, and she knows her stuff.) I used a smaller needle and increased my stitch length a little bit, and it really wasn't much different than quilting cotton. It really presses beautifully too.

Zigzag2
(The cream fabric is AMH voile in Froth.)

IMG_2048
And here's a picture of my quilt artfully draped over a bench.

IMG_2053
The binding is voile in RiverRock. (Do you think the voile will hold up as binding? I guess time will tell.) For the backing I used the Forest Hills in Sea print. I got it for a good price from an Etsy shop that was closing. The voile fabric is pricey, but don't forget it's 54-inches wide so you get more of it. (I'm really good at rationalizing.) The fat quarters are, like, huge.

IMG_2046
I didn't want the quilting to interfere with the softness of the fabric, so I just quilted in straight lines along the zigs and zags.

IMG_2054
I'm pretty sure my son thinks all moms take quilts on field trips to the park.

IMG_2044
(New blog header?)

I'm posting this as a part of The Blogger's Quilt Festival on Amy's blog. Be sure to check out the other entries for hours and hours (literally) of inspiration.

49 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, this is SO beautiful! I love this quilt! And I am definitely going to check out the tutorial you linked, this looks so gorgeous :)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

And thanks for the tips on the voile; I've avoided buying this line because I was afraid of it being voile. Afraid no more! Thank you!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Really lovely! The backing fabric is so pretty.

Jodi said...

You did a gorgeous job! Love your fab combos. (Your son is gorgeous, too!) :-)

April said...

beautiful! found you on flickr - thanks for the link to the tutorial - a few weeks ago i screwed up a baby quilt while piecing triangles! nice blog :)

Leah said...

Katie, it's absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to touch it, if I'm allowed.

WendyLou said...

Beautiful quilt - and great pictures, too! I always seem to have trouble thinking of a creative way to photograph my quilts ... which means I procrastinate and eventually forget. I may need to head to a park this afternoon. I'm sure my kids wouldn't mind :) Thanks for sharing!!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

zig zag quilts are my fav right now. Beautiful job! I don't know much about voile fabric, so I will have to learn more!

www.honeybearlane.com

Little Island Quilting said...

Lovely post and a great read too!

Anonymous said...

so great! I've always loved that line of fabric...

http://www.fuzzysheepcrafts.com

Lauren said...

You've inspired me! I have lots of fat quarters of AMH voile that I have been too afraid to touch, but since your quilt looks so lovely I am getting off the couch this instant and starting to cut! Who cares if I have 3+ other projects already started? Great job, thanks for the inspiration!

Carolyn said...

A voille quilt! That sounds so luxurious! It's gorgeous.

Robin said...

I was lucky enough to touch it and it feels luxurious. Looks beautiful, Katie. And that pic would make a great blog header.

Carol said...

It's adorable. Love the prints you chose.

bethanndodd said...

I love zigzag quilts and yours is no exception...beautiful work and pictures!

Kaye Prince said...

Beautiful Katie! You did a fabulous job; I've got a stack of the voile sitting and waiting too, but haven't been able to decide on a design yet!

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, Katie! I need to check out that zig zag quilt pattern - it's really cute! Did you find it easy to put together?

Herta said...

Beautiful quilt! Loving the quilt festival!!

Beth Gracie said...

absolutely love it. i sued the voile in my quilt submission also. it's so fantastic to the touch! i love the back! this is one of my fav AMH prints. just made some trousers for my son in folksy flannel in another color way. nice work!

The Bakers said...

Dang, you sure do know a lot about quilting! It's like you're in a whole different universe now--and on your way to becoming its queen.

Allie said...

This is so fabulous - and your son is a doll!

Karen said...

pretty,pretty, pretty. Those voiles make a very snuggly looking quilt.

Bec said...

hahaha...you ARE good at rationalising!! But it looks AMAZING!!! i bet it is just soooo soft...youve inspired me..i should get some!!! love the quilting too! xx

Bec said...

Now following... and yes all the wierd places we take our quilts for photos!! I think they get out more than my kids! xx

audreypawdrey said...

It is beautiful! I love the voile, but I have been slightly afraid of using it in a quilt. I might need to go buy some! I love yours! My daughter is going to think the same thing about moms taking their quilts on trips to the park. :) Your photos are beautiful!

Kathy said...

What a charming quilt. It reminds me of 30's or 40's style prints, but yet the zig zag is so modern. I love how it turned out.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That's beautiful. The zigzags are perfect for showing off the fabric. I've never worked with voile, but it's gorgeous. And I have to ask - how did you secure that quilt over the railing above the running water? I would have been afraid it would fall below.

Miri said...

Beautiful! Soft and lovely!

Anonymous said...

I think it would make a lovely blog header!

Angie said...

This quilt is adorable! I like how it started with a collection of fabric. Great photography too :)

Aunt Spicy said...

totally fabulous! and you have inspired me, I have been afraid you use some voile that I have...

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful and your photography is outstanding also.

Grandma

Katie said...

Beautiful quilt. And I must remember to take some of my quilts of field trips, as there aren't very good photo spots in my yard...

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

love your zig zags! I have one started from a year or so ago... i think you've inspired me to dig it out!

bethanndodd said...

It's beautiful! Zigzag quilts are a favorite of mine. I love your photos too :)

Karen said...

I am glad you did jump in and use it because your quilt looks great. Great photos. And I like the back too.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Awesome quilt! Love the colors and prints!

Hashi said...

This looks really lovely; your zig zig design works great with this fabric. The finished quilt must be so soft and buttery. Yummy!

Leslie said...

this is so pretty. i love those fabrics and a zig zag is one of my favorite patterns...

Christine said...

I've been wanting to try a zig zag quilt, so your pretty quilt is inspiring.

Kate said...

Very pretty. The white mixed with all those colors makes the quilt look so soft.

Splendorfalls said...

Love love!

mamammelloves said...

What a lovely quilt! I just love that line of fabric... along with any AMH fabric! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute quilt! And, I love your backing, too.

pinsandneedles said...

Very pretty quilt! Love the fabrics!

Vicki said...

it's so pretty! I can't wait to make a zigzag quilt... maybe in 2011.

Kate said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I've been so tempted, but really scared to work with voile. You've given me the confidence to give it a go though. Thanks!

Cynthia said...

Such a cute quilt! And I love your pictures! That is secretly my new favorite part of finishing a quilt--taking fun pictures of it! Just beautiful!

Eileen said...

adorable quilt. haven't use voiles and think you've done such a nice job. what an adorable little boy to set by it!! thanks for sharing and have a nice day