Monday, June 7, 2010

A few good recipes

aka See? Sometimes I cook!

Justin has been lamenting the inferior quality of store-bought salsa. I came across this recipe for Restaurant-Style Salsa from The Pioneer Woman and figured it was worth a try. It's delicious. Definitely the best salsa I've made (wait...have I made salsa before?). Possibly the best I've eated. It's definitely spicy enough to make your nose run a little. If that's not your thing, you might cut back on the jalapeno or use mild Rotel. Oh, and this makes A LOT of salsa. Plenty for a party.

Tonight I made Tequila-Lime Chicken (sans tequila cause I'm not about to buy a bottle of alcohol for a recipe), and it was really good. This is another recipe from The Pioneer Woman. Seriously, if you need dinnertime inspiration, check out her blog. We grilled the chicken breasts and then sliced them up and ate them on tortillas. Very good. Super easy.

And for dessert...
I've been thinking about these Pudding-wiches for a while. My mom used to make them for our family reunions in the summer. They're kid-friendly and couldn't be easier. I have a batch in the freezer and Luke and I have been snacking on them this week. I used sugar-free pudding and skim milk, so I imagine they're not too horrible for you.

Pudding-wiches

1 1/2 cups cold milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 pkg (4 serving size) instant pudding and pie filling
24 graham crackers, broken in half

Add milk gradually to peanut butter in a deep narrow bottom bowl, blending till smooth.

Add pudding mix

Beat slowly on low speed of electric mixer till well blended, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

Spread filling on 12 cracker halves, top with remaining crackers.

Freeze until firm.


Mmm. Frozen peanut buttery goodness. I think I'll have one now...

3 comments:

Leah said...

I may have to make Pudding-wiches for when my nephews and niece are here. They sound yummy!

Lisa H. said...

I'm a big fan of the Pioneer Woman, too! She cracks me up!

By the way, I was looking through my recent Knit Picks catalog and thought of you when I saw this kit:

http://www.knitpicks.com/kits/Mr._Roboto_Kit__D40153.html

Quinn said...

Hi Katie :) I follow and love your blog!Speaking of salsa...I just had to share a recipe with you. It is so fresh and so yummy. Try it, you will love it:

1 can black beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 red pepper , seeded and chopped
1 green onion, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 clove minced gralic
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Mix all ingredients and chill overnight. Tip - Use your mini-prep. Makes it super easy to prepare. Also, make a double batch, it's a crowd pleaser.

I also LOVE Pioneer Woman. Read her site everyday!

(I think, maybe you might know me? But just in case: Friend of Natalie's. Mother of Avery. You made a taggie blanket for Avery when she was born. Thank you!)