Thursday, January 7, 2010

Summer Soiree in January (aka Work Quilt)

Any of my work friends will agree that our offices are freezing. If I pushed around a quilt cart and sold quilts cubicle to cubicle, I'd be a rich woman. (Note to self: Start a quilt cart.) For now, I made one for myself.

Photobucket

This is the finished product from my sneak peek. I used this Snowball Block tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew.

Photobucket
I wanted to do a bias-cut binding, but I was afraid I didn't have enough fabric (I had plenty). But I'm happy with the way this turned out. I'm not sure the fat stripes would've looked good on the bias.

Photobucket
These colors = love.

Photobucket
The fabrics are all from the Summer Soiree line by Paula Prass. I used the Nantucket colorway. I love how the traditional florals mix with the very bold and modern geometrical prints. (Wow, it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about!)

Photobucket
The backing is the turquoise houndstooth from the same line.

Photobucket
I made this quilt myself, start to finish. It was a challenge, and it's not perfect, but I love it anyway! I think it will bring some cheer (and warmth!) to my grey office. The finished size is 35 x 35 inches. I think it will be a good size for a lap quilt. It's a good size for a toddler too.

7 comments:

Robin said...

You made this for your office?

I am blown away. This is beautiful. You should hang this on a wall.

Natalie said...

Yeah. Agreed. It's awesome. I'm totally, TOTALLY impressed.

Leah said...

You'll have to lock this away every night. This is amazing. It's gorgeous and the binding and the quilting look great. I can't believe you did the whole thing. Looks like you had a productive snow day...I sure didn't!

Unknown said...

Stunning! Gorgeous! I'd love for you to share this on my Summer Soiree Flickr group, if you haven't already. I might even like to feature you and the quilt on my blog if you don't mind.

Anonymous said...

Katie, That's beautiful! I'm really impressed. That skill must be the Grandma Demaree genes - surely not from this side.

Grandma

Unknown said...

Holy Cannoli Katie. How long did this take you? It's stunning. When do you have time to sleep and eat? And work?

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. You are talented. Use the blanket and make another one. Aunt M.